Cabanas Hotel at Sun City
The Cabanas Hotel is set against the beautiful Waterworld Lake in Sun City. This newly renovated hotel exudes a relaxed luxury vibe that will have you feeling like you’re on vacation in no time.
The Cabanas Hotel provides a variety of accommodation options, including standard twin suites, ground floor, lake facing suites, and wheelchair accessible suites. Each suite offers a breathtaking view of the manicured gardens or Waterworld Lake, as well as a full breakfast and unlimited access to Sun City’s Valley of Waves.
The Cabanas Hotel’s relaxed atmosphere and stylish décor alive with vibrant colours give it the feel of a tropical vacation destination. The Cabanas Hotel is an excellent base from which to explore the wonders of the greater Pilanesberg area, with plenty of entertainment options for the whole family.
By day, visit the Pilanesberg Game Reserve, which is famous around the world for its incredible diversity of fauna and flora, including the Big 5. By night, enjoy Sun City’s spectacular cabaret shows or try your luck in one of its numerous casinos.
Alternatively, take a leisurely sundowner cruise on Waterworld Lake. Jet skiing, water skiing, and windsurfing are all popular activities for adrenaline junkies. While the kids can have hours of supervised fun at Kamp Kwena, which is located on the Cabanas lawn and features an adventure playground, an animal farmyard, and a fully-equipped games centre.
Sun City is located in the greater Pilanesberg area, about an hour and a half drive from Johannesburg, and is ideally situated for easy access to Pilanesberg National Park, a malaria-free game reserve.
The Cabanas Hotel is a three-star establishment that provides guests with a place to rest and rejuvenate in between their exciting days and wild evenings spent exploring the resort.
There are 24 standard rooms with a view of the lake, 120 standard twin rooms, 32 family rooms with a view of the lake, 201 family standard rooms, and 3 accessible rooms to choose from. Showers are the only feature that come standard in any of the bathrooms.
The majority of the rooms at the Cabanas feature views of the lake, and some of them even open up into the hotel’s tropical gardens.
Included in the amenities of a Standard Room are a flat-screen television with satellite channels, universal plug connections (voltage 220/240V), air conditioning, a safe and hairdryer, a telephone, a refrigerator, a kettle, complementary coffee and tea, and a work desk.
The following are included as part of the standard room service offered:
- Included buffet breakfast is subject to change depending on the tariff.
- Access to the Valley of Waves at no additional cost
- A service that includes ironing and laundry (surcharge)
- Normal chores around the rooms
Facilities and services at the hotel include conveniences such as free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour reception desk, an ATM on site, luggage storage, newspapers, on-site parking, a free bus shuttle service within the resort, an outdoor pool and unlimited free access to Valley of Waves.
All the rooms are non-smoking only but there are designated smoking areas.
Other facilities available to guests are:
- The Welcome Centre is located at the Entertainment Centre’s entrance. It provides services such as booking and confirming bus tickets, flights, car rentals, game drives, and other adventure activities.
- Sun City’s main attraction is the Valley of Waves. It is one of the world’s most technologically advanced water parks, dominated by the Roaring Lagoon, a wave pool with a palm-fringed beach. All resort residents gain free admission to the park.
- The Entertainment Centre is Sun City’s entertainment and gaming hub, with a variety of restaurants and bars, a kid’s games arcade, cinema, and the well-known Superbowl, which has hosted world famous artists. A variety of stores are available to meet your every need. The Entertainment Centre also houses a slots-only casino with the most up-to-date Smart Card-operated machines.
- The Gary Player Country Club has a beautiful view of the golf course. This is an 18-hole, par 72 walking course with a 5-kilometer running trail. A Pro Shop, a health spa and gymnasium, two squash courts, and a spinning studio are all part of the Gary Player Country Club.
- Gary Player, a well-known South African golfer, also designed the Lost City Golf Course. This spectacular par-72 cart course includes a water hazard of 20 live Nile crocodiles on the 13th hole and amenities such as a driving range and golf Pro Shop.
- The Gary Player Country Club’s ultra-luxurious health spa is the ideal setting for relaxation and enjoyment of a wide range of hair and beauty treatments, hydro bath, Vichy Shower, spa-pool, and steam room.
- The Royal Salon is on the second floor of the Hotel Palace of the Lost City. There is a top-notch stylist team on hand, as well as beauty therapists for manicures, pedicures, and facials. Massages are available at The Palace Pool Deck or in the privacy of your room.
- There are several restaurants, as well as conference facilities at the resort. The hotel offers breakfasts at Palm Terrace and light snacks at the Cabanas Pool Deck and you can enjoy a cocktail or a light lunch at the Cabanas Pool Deck.
The Cabanas hotel is an excellent starting point for exploring the rest of what Sun City has to offer. To spend the day at the Valley of Waves or one of the great activities at the Welcome Centre, take the free resort shuttle that runs past the Cabanas every 15 minutes.
Take a stroll down to Waterworld’s lakeside beach, where you can jetski, water ski, parasail, or take a sunset cruise.
Allow your children to be entertained at Kamp Kwena, Rock Venture Mini Golf, or Animal World.
Sun City Casino, which has hundreds of exciting slot machines and over 40 popular table games, is a 5-minute walk away. And if you have a Sun MVG card, you get even more perks, such as exclusive access to the Salon Privé and VIP gaming.
On the lakeshore of the Cabanas lawns, children can enjoy facilities such as mini-golf, mini cars, bumper boats, trampolines, and a fully equipped children’s playground.
Combine the thrills of parachuting, water sports, and parasailing. Allow the professional instructors to teach you how to water ski or wakeboard. Jet ski through a wave. A sunset cruise around the private lake is a great way to end the day. The lake is surrounded by exciting activities such as mini cars, putt putt, trampolines, bumper boats, and a playground.
A train ride that passes by the Cabanas Aviary and over a small portion of the Waterworld lake where you can see the Impala, Ostrich, and Nyala that live in this tranquil world.
Day and night babysitting, as well as supervised outings, can be arranged, as can chaperone service for the elderly and wheelchair-bound.
The Valley of Waves is one of the most advanced water parks in the world, where hydraulic mechanisms can generate a 1,8 metre wave every 90 seconds. The water park has some exhilarating flume rides.
The Royal Bath swimming pool is adjacent to an amphitheatre, which can accommodate an audience of over 800.
Golfers can enjoy a round on either of two world class 18 hole championship golf courses – The Gary Player Golf Course and The Lost City Golf Course.
The beautiful adjoining Pilanesberg National Park will delight game viewers because it is malaria-free and home to the Big 5. Wildlife safari tour operators are located at the Welcome Centre, and guests can also enjoy individual game viewing in the park. Elephant encounters can also be arranged through the Welcome Centre.
Sun International work on dynamic pricing and offer “best available (BAR)” rates.
Rates are quoted per room, per night, and include the following:
- Full English Breakfast
- VAT at 15% (subject to change)
- 1% Tourism Levy applicable on the accommodation portion of the rate
- Complimentary entry into the Valley of waves and shuttle services within the resort
A maximum of two children 17 years and under can join 2 adults on a sleeper couch, including Breakfast.
One adult and 2 children 17 years and under, on a sleeper couch, will pay a single room rate including breakfast.
One adult with 3 children will pay a double room rate including breakfast.
Can you book a room at Buffalo Thorn Lodge as individual?
No, you cannot book a room at Buffalo Thorn Lodge as individual, the lodge is rented out as a unit and visitors has exclusive use of the whole lodge.
How many guests can Buffalo Thorn Lodge accommodate?
Buffalo Thorn Lodge can accommodate ten visitors at the time, who get exclusive use of the whole lodge.
What is included in the rate for a stay at Buffalo Thorn Lodge?
All game drives, all daily conservation fees, tea and coffee in the rooms, and a daily fee for the fully serviced lodge by the staff are all included in the rates.
Can you see the Big 5 during a visit to Buffalo Thorn Lodge
Yes, you can see the Big 5 during a visit to the lodge, since rangers are able to travel throughout the entire 57,000-hectare park in open game-drive vehicles from Buffalo Thorn Lodge, allowing for up-close views of the “big 5” as well as numerous endangered species, such as cheetahs, African wild dogs, sable, and Tsessebe antelope.
Is Black Rhino Lodge easily accessible?
Yes, Buffalo Thorn Lodge is located close enough to South Africa’s busiest airport – less than 2 hours’ drive from Johannesburg.
What is the minimum stay policy at Buffalo Thorn Lodge
The minimum stay policy requires a two night stay.
Is Buffalo Thorn Lodge child-friendly
Yes, Buffalo Thorn Lodge is child-friendly, with special family rooms provided.
Is there other activities than game drives to keep guests entertained?
Yes, several other activities including walking safaris, game drives, quad riding, archery classes, drumming, interactive gumboot dancing sessions, predator park tours or additional activities at the nearby Sun City resort can be arranged at an additional cost.